Monday, July 27, 2009

Pioneer Day? Heck no! Pioneer Weekend!!!

I love Pioneer Day! Outside of Utah, mention July 24th as if it were a holiday, and people think you've gone bonkers, but where I come from it's a day to CELEBRATE! I like to celebrate that God put me in the day and time he did, the guy knew what he was doing by NOT making me a pilgrim! I would never have made it! Imagine no real running water! No toliets and who knows what those people did for toliet paper! Not to mention no regular showers and probably no deodorant. The wind, dirt, smelly animals, sometimes freezing tempatures and sometimes blazing heat, etc, etc as you tried to cross the plains in a dress! Not for me! I am happy though to celebrate that those people did what they did so we could live in this fabulous state and celebrate!
Our celebration started on Thursday night when we went to the Quidditch field (Rio Tinto Stadium) to watch Kenny Chesney! I was totally bumed that Sugarland didn't make the expected appearance but we enjoyed Lady A, Miranda Lambert and especially Kenny (mostly because the sun was down at that point and we were no longer melting!)
Friday morning we woke up early, hitched the trailer to the truck and drove to breakfast to meet our friends the Silcoxs! We then had a fabulous breakfast and drove to Bear Lake for the weekend! Friday afternoon we just lazed around, the kids played a little on the beach, and then we had a wonderful fire and smores! YUM!
Saturday we spent all day at the beach! Playing in the water, riding on boats and wave runners, tubing and having tube wars, just hanging out and having fun! Darrell's mom came up and rode 1 of the wave runners and we had a wonderful dinner before sitting around the fire and relaxing!
Usually on camping trips the last day consists of cleaning the trailer and our campsite then heading home but this time we woke up and had breakfast then headed back to the beach for a couple more hours of fun in the sun! I didn't want it to end! We didn't get home until 10pm and even though Annie sprained her ankle pretty bad, I have bruises on my back from falling out of the trailer, Shawna's little face is swollen from being in the sun so much, and we're all burnt to a crisp on various body parts, WE HAD A BLAST!! Can't wait until next time! We are so thankful those pioneers went through what they did so we could have something fabulous to celebrate!
Here's a few pics...


Grandma Gladys on the wave runner
Shawna waiting at Merlins for a shake!

Lana, Shannon and Randi on the tube

Little Riley sitting at the campfire looking thru his
star brochure trying to find constellations

Annie and Pooski sitting by the fire

5 comments:

Kristen said...

I say this whenever I look at your blog but I can't believe how grown up your girls are! I remember when they were the same age as my kids. Time goes way to fast!!!

Burnside Family said...

Looks like you had so much fun!

Nathan and Shanna said...

I too love the 24th of July! I miss the good old days when my family and I got to go boating most the whole Summer, but maybe someday we could do that again! Glad you had fun in the sun!!

jennybrum said...

Looks like you guys had tons of fun! I'm totally jealous!!!

Kiersti said...

I, too, am jealous. I need some wave runnin' myself!